So, I was going to try and be clever and put together a tutorial on how I made my lovely 4th of July windsock, but I realized mid-project that the reason I don't post tutorials is that I don't really do things in a sane-enough order to actually be able to present the process to people. Nevertheless, I will attempt it anyway. Stick with me....
I was trolling Pinterest last week and I spotted the Stars and Stripes DIY Kit from A Gilded Life , which made my heart skip a beat; it was totally my style! So I thought about buying it, but the $130 price tag was out of even my range, and it didn't have enough bold colors, which are present in almost everything I do. I also wanted to stray from my usual door hanging projects and try something new, yet still could be displayed outside for my little world to see. My other throught was to give myself the freedom to not have to create such a literal interpretation of the flag. That is how I came up with a windsock. I've never made one. I can't even remember making one as a child out of paper and streamers. This was new territory for me, and in true Kiersten fashion, I winged it the whole way through (evidence below).
I started with a fantastic blue and white damask-like fabric that I thought would be great for the top portion. I ironed down the top and bottom to create a hem and then adhered it together with iron-on tape. I tried to leave a gap at the bottom so that I could eventually slide in wire stems to add structure to it.
***Side Note*** When I asked my 5 year old if I should use iron-on tape, glue, or sew it, he responded with, "Iron-on, because I like Iron Man and they sound the same." Let me tell you, the kid knows what he is doing, so of course I had to go with it.
Up to this point, success. Next, I thought I would brilliantly put in the wire stems. But I quickly realized that doing so would be problematic. How was I going to sew it together at the end if there were wires? So I took them out and proceeded with adding the ribbon border embellishments.
I chose to use four different ribbons on the borders, and I really like the way it turned out. Using the same combination on the top just look too matchy-matchy. I was able to use the iron-on tape for some of the pieces, but I also had to pull out my glue gun to make sure everything was in place. Adhere at your own discretion.
I then set aside the top portion and started to work on the ribbons that would flow beneath it. I selected many, many, many, red and white-ish ribbons and lace ribbons of every kind of style. I selected textures and prints that I really loved, that made my eye want to linger. I was also going to use some red and white fabric, but I got lazy and didn't feel like cutting it. I was also going to use red and white tulle, but I couldn't find it.
I cut the ribbon in 18" pieces and pinned them to a plain white ribbon, which I then attached to the top portion on the windsock. I wanted the body of ribbon to be dense and not show through to the other side, so I lined each ribbon right up against the one next to it, and even overlapped many of them. I then sewed them onto the ribbon to give it a little more strength.
To finish it off, I hot-glued the strip of ribbons to the blue and white top piece. The final two steps were to sew the ends together to create the cylindrical shape and then insert the wire stems. I ended up only putting a stem through the top because 1. It was still open enough for me to force it in, the bottom wasn't and 2. It wasn't completely necessary on the bottom.
This patriotic windsock was one of my favorite projects. I think it is beautiful and it is so lovely when it flows in the breeze. As an extra bonus, I actually completed a seasonal project prior to the holiday!
Linking this to:
Coastal Charm - http://www.linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com
Sugar Bee Crafts - http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com
Ladybug Blessings - http://ladybug-blessings.com
Not JUST A Housewife - http://www.notjustahousewife.net
Sugar and Dots - http://www.sugaranddots.com