After my first attempt at making a chalkboard for my sister's baby back in May (Capturing the Moments - Wooden Chalkboard Frame) I had a second chance to perfect this project for the much anticipated Baby Stella. I didn't plan on making one for her, mostly because I don't like to force my projects onto people, but after my sister-in-law saw the frame for Maya, I received increasing pressure, which started simply as, "I want one!" and escalated to sending a text message from "Baby Stella," wanting to know where is her chalkboard. I got the hint and, after a lot of thinking and trial and error, eventually came up with this little beauty (sorry for the horrible photos).
I was unable to make the same chalkboard as last time because Michael's didn't have the frame I used, or anything close to it that I liked. It also didn't help that I was being trailed though the store by my husband who typically likes to hurry through the store and my son who really wanted to buy a toy that his behavior did not merit. I do have to say that my husband was quite helpful during this trip and his input was valuable. He was the one who found the wooden letters and the tags that I put them on, plus they were on clearance. I love the style of these letters, much more so than the dot letters I used on the first chalkboard.
So, we got home and this is what I had first put together.
As much as I love the laser cut frames (Recovery is a Slow Process), I wasn't in love with the idea of using one for this purpose, but as I got further into the project I really loved the extra decoration that it added, which also meant that I didn't need further embellishment. I'd also purchased another frame, but the shape of it just did not work well with the letters. The best part about this frame was that I was able to use the leg and back piece that would allow it to stand up, which the laser frames do not have.
***Side Note*** I HATE, HATE, HATE when glitter rubs off of projects. It is bad enough that my husband has to go around sparkling for days because I've created a seemingly endless haze of glitter dust, but crumbling glitter means that the quality of the project is diminishing. Not cool! To combat this, I pulled out Mod Podge Dimensional Magic and coated over the glitter on each letter . I couldn't have asked for better results. The finish was smooth and hard and the glitter was completely covered. Success!
Next, were the tags. The shapes were super cute, but I didn't love the holes. I know, I know, they are tags, and tags have holes, but the holes were just not right for this project. So, I traced the rectanglar-ish tags and covered them with my coveted October Afternoon papers. The scalloped circles were a little more challenging; I didn't feel like I could trace and cut and end up with nice looking scallops. My solution was to paint the wood and then heat emboss a stamped pattern to it. These are actually my favorite tags. I love the glossiness of the embossing against the matte paint.
After gluing the letters to the tags, my last decision was to either glue the tags down straight or slant them. I really liked them slanted, but wasn't sure if that would be a little too much with everything else going on with the patterns and colors and letter and tags... But after some input from my sister, I decided to just go with it.
To finish it off, I put the chalkboard vinyl onto the rectangular piece that was attached to the leg stand and my husband helped me attach it to the frame by creating wooden holders to keep the back piece in place.
***LINKING UP TO:***