In September, I had an awesome idea to attempt to insult anyone who comes to my door during the month of October. I was going to use on old Ikea mirror (those $2 square ones with a thick frame) and make it look spooky, and then simply put the word "scary" on it. Get it? I'm making fun of the person looking into the mirror? Funny, right...................?
.......Crickets. It was hysterical in my head, I swear!
So I took this old Ikea frame, which had previously been decoupaged with something horrid, and peeled the paper off to reveal the original wood. There were still some remnants of glue and paper, but it wouldn't affect this project.
I envisioned the frame to have a haunted house feel, so to achieve this, I painted it black. I didn't worry about sanding off anything that was leftover from before, or even painting it nicely, I just wanted a base.
Next, I pulled out the leftover craft sticks that I'd bought to use as flower stems for my SIL's baby shower last spring and painted them black. Actually, I purchased a black stain pen from Michael's and individually colored each wooden stick. It took a very long time, and I had some funky looking fingers, but I love how I was able to have different gradients of saturation, which gave a more weathered feel. Once the sticks were black, I began to put them into place by hot gluing them down. This took FOREVER. Each piece was individually fitted onto the frame, and to add a little extra spooky authenticity, I used my pinking shears to make some of the ends look jagged and worn.
I was in love with the frame once each stick was in place, so much that I half contemplated using it in my livingroom and not for Halloween. But I filed that idea away for another project and began to layout the rest of the current plan.
I went through many different ideas, but finally decided that a stripped down, simple layout would be best. I found some chipboard letters that I liked, but I knew I'd have to do something to them. My plan was to heat emboss them with either glittery gold, glittery silver, or bright orange embossing powder. Silver won. I thought the skeletons could also use a little more pizazz, so they also received a little glittery sprinkle. Also, I amped up the letters with a few pieces of ghost confetti; they needed something.
Finally, I decided that the frame called for one more embellishment, and decided on this very appropriate sticker from October Afternoon, which I backed onto a bit of striped paper and outlined with a silver pipe cleaner (could have done a better job with making the pipe cleaner look even). My intent was to use silver as the element that pulled the whole look together.
Funny or not, I love it!